[IAEP] Project Gutenberg, etc.

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Wed Apr 29 12:41:27 EDT 2009

Martin,

I hear what you are saying.  It sounds like what you want is like iTunes
is, but for books.  The thing is, it would have to do much more than
iTunes does.  iTunes has its own catalog of music for purchase.  If I
search for something on iTunes it doesn't have to go all over the
Internet looking for stuff.  It doesn't have to check out Usenet
newsgroups, torrent sites, etc.  It just has to look in its own
database.  iTunes is for finding music easily and paying for it, not for
searching the Internet for free music.

Now consider how you might go about looking for free books.  You'd want
to check out Project Gutenberg.  You'd want to look at Project Gutenberg
of Australia, which has a ton of stuff by dead authors that is legal
there but still under copyright in the U.S.  You'd want to check out the
Baen Free Library of science fiction, which is under copyright but free
to download anyway.  You'd want to look at free textbooks from various
places.  You'd want to check the Internet Archive, and probably many
other places too.  You don't want iTunes.  You want Google for books.

This makes me believe that what we really want is some kind of server
based portal that finds books.  That would be quite a project.  Probably
more than we'd want to attempt.

You could get *most* of the benefit of such a portal by simply putting
links to Internet Archive, Gutenberg, and other places on the static
start page we ship with the Browse activity.  To avoid cluttering up
that page we might just have a link on the top reading "Free Books".
Click on that and another static page comes up which has a ton of links
to free book sites, and possibly forms to search on those sites.  Maybe
some info on the different book formats and what Activities are needed
to read them.

The other thing that would be nice to have is a sort of "Bind Books"
Activity.  The idea is a teacher could look for texts for her class,
then use the "Bind Books" Activity to package them up as Unified
Bundles.  She would distribute these bundles to her class, perhaps by
putting them on a local web server.  I think the Unified Bundles idea is
really important, because if we had that reading a book would be as
simple as clicking on its entry in the Journal, and getting it in the
Journal would be as easy as installing an Activity.  You wouldn't have
to know or care that the book is a plain text file, or a PDF, or a Djvu
file, or a Zip file containing images, or a Zip file containing a plain
text file, or a collection of HTML and images that can be browsed
offline.  The person binding the book would know that; the student would
not.

Older students could bind their own books and share them.

If you did this maybe Activities for reading would cease to exist.
Reading books would just be something that Sugar knew how to do.

James Simmons