[IAEP] 70 minute interview with Bryan Berry on XO deployment in Nepal

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Apr 29 06:05:01 EDT 2009

Zitat von Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org>:

>> Christoph wrote:
>> So in this case it doesn't necessarily make sense for someone in Berlin
>> (let alone New York) to design a Maths learning activity to be used in
>> an Austrian school.
>
> I disagree w/ this. Someone in Berlin or NYC can create learning
> activities of value to those in Nepal or elsewhere but likely they have
> to be changed in small but important ways. That is one of the reasons
> open-source is so critical to improving education.

Mmm, I still would argue that now in some cases - especially when
relevant changes end up being quite significant - it might be easier to
basically start from scratch rather than adapting and modifying an
existing activity.

I think (and I'm basically just repeating what others have said
before;-) what's best in the long-run is to have a common framework for
educational activities or at least sub-categories of such activities.
This framework should allow for basic functionalities such as tracking
student progress, dynamically adapting exercises to a student's
capabilities and things like the basics of Maths exercises or a typing
tutor to be taken care of. These basic building blocks can then be
shared across the globe while making it easier and quicker for people
to build learning activities tailored to the specific requirements of
their country, province or town.

But I'm really preaching to the choir here so I'll just shut up and
finish my lunch-break:-)

Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer