[IAEP] Anyone gotten a 4GB or greater USB stick to work for Sugar on a Stick?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 10:04:46 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> trying to tease out what all the different failure mechanisms are

One failure mode I know of:  Most USB sticks come pre-formatted from
factory in a funny "FAT-16 LBA" partition mode and fs format. If you
remove the partition and recreated it, most tools (and users!) will
default to FAT-32 for new FAT partitions.

And oftentimes BIOSes can't handle booting from FAT-32. I've spotted
this on my (earlyish) EEE 701 and I think OFW also has (had?) this
limitation.

So if you have a non-booting disk, it's worthwhile asking fdisk about
the partition mode, and check what the file utility says about the
contents of the block device (in the partition).

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions