[IAEP] Prep for FOSS VT

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Thu Apr 9 10:13:41 EDT 2009

This is far from elegant but here is what I'm doing.

I used a windows machine to make a USB Stick.
I used dd in a terminal to make an image of it.
Compress the image
Rename it .Z
Open up DiskUtility
now I'm ready to burn.

Put in a fresh USB stick.
Use "Information" in Disk Utility to find the disk number.
UnMount the disk (don't eject! use unmount in Disk Utility)
Open a new window in Terminal. (Command T)
sudo zcat ./SoaS2-Beta-4-8.img.Z > /dev/disk1 (change disk number for each
disk)

Repeat with the next USB until both hubs are full.

Its not returning in the terminal when its done. After a while (about 30 min
or so) they all stop flashing. I can't eject them. I just pull the plug on
the port and let the mac complain at me.
I spot check a few to see if the boot starts. So far I have 4 USBs that seem
to be bad and even with repeated tries give me "boot error".

Reboot the mac, an hour after I've finished system is still using 90% of the
CPU.

Certainly in now way teacher ready but seems to be working.  The real test
will be tomorrow.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> Caroline - can you tell me how you are burning SoaS on your Mac?
>
> thanks
>
> Sean
>

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:48 AM, Caroline Meeks
> <caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> > We have a beta release and I have a way to burn multiple USBs on my mac.
> > When it boots it works pretty well!  It even connects to a Jabber server
> for
> > collaboration.  People who get it to boot will be impressed.
> >
> > The bad news is the current beta release is not working at all with the
> > "Boot Helper" CD
> >
> > The error is Bug in initramfs /init detected. Dropping to a shell. Good
> > luck!
> >
> > bash: no job control in this shell.
> >
> > This is a shame because giving people a CD is much easier then walking
> them
> > through changing their BIOS.  Also at the wild (as evidenced by the YMCA
> and
> > the Gardner School) many computers (about 50% of the Y and the entire
> > computer lab at the Gardner) can't be made to boot from a USB.  With luck
> > the laptops people will be carrying at the conference will be newer and
> boot
> > from USBs.
> >
> > So I'm debating whether I burn both SoaS1 and SoaS2 so we have something
> for
> > people who need to use a CD?  Any hope of getting the boot helper fixed?
> >
> > The other thing that would be really excellent for Friday would be a
> working
> > Virtual Box install.  If we got one working we could burn it onto a
> couple
> > of sticks and just pass it around to the Mac users.
> >
> > The final thing on my wish list is a way to show off eBooks.
> >
> > Great work and thanks to all who have worked so hard. We have made
> > tremendous progress!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Caroline
> >

> > --