[IAEP] Teacher in Uruguay enchanted to see his ideas integrated, into global Sugar update

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sun Sep 21 13:09:12 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 20:14 -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 02:58:41PM -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> >I want to make sure that all of our work is grounded in specific
> >requests and user goals. That has to come first before we design code or
> >GUIs. Part of my work is to explain what is most important to users so I
> >apologize for falling behind on making that clear. As usual, engineering
> >has gotten ahead of me. I did post a few ideas on the file moving area
> >here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0#File_Management
> >
> >We urgently need to listen to the input we have so far. Everything
> >we do must be tied to a high level goal and to specific input and users.
> >That is my most fundamental request!
>
> Greg,
>
> Your fundamental request, interpreted literally, is in my opinion
> _untenable_. Start from the mission statement:
>
>    To create educational opportunities for the world's poorest children
>    by providing each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected
>    laptop with content and software designed for collaborative, joyful,
>    self-empowered learning.

This appears thread to be degenerating into a OLPC specific thread.

Sugar Lab's vision statement is:

Sugar reinvents how computers can be used for education. Sugar provides
a simple yet powerful means of engaging young children in the world of
learning that is opened up by computing and the Internet. Sugar promotes
sharing, collaborative learning, and reflection. Through Sugar's clarity
of design, children and their teachers use computation on their own
terms; they are free to reshape, reinvent, and reapply both software and
content into powerful learning activities. Sugar is a community project;
it is based on GNU/Linux, a free and open-source operating system.

thanks
david