[IAEP] What is a member?

Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero dirakx at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 14:53:12 EDT 2008

Regarding time.

 I have only a comment that is in the debian side of things, for example if
one is a debian developer,  this ''title'' goes for live. And also (afaik)
you remain with your @debian.org mail even though you don't maintain
packages or you have cease to do contributions to the project..anyway this
is still in discussion.

(pls if someone knows this process in detail you can correct me).

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:09 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> I have been hand waving around this issue for the last couple of posts
> in the hope that we could reach consensus on the structural issues
> before facing this potentially emotional issue.
>
> The membership question has three axis: depth, breadth, and time. How
> extensive should a persons contributions be to earn membership? How
> broadly do we define contributing to the project? How long does it take
> to earn membership? How long are membership terms.
>
> At the end of the day, the question distills down to, "What is the
> cost/benefit ratio in terms of governance, recognition, fund raising,
> and defense of being inclusionary or exclusionary with regard to
> membership across the three axis of depth, breadth and time.
>
>     1. Depth. There examples of successful projects at both ends of the
>        depth of membership criteria. At one end , Fedora[1] has settled
>        on a very inclusive mechanism where everyone who applies becomes
>        a member. On the other end, the apache foundation[2] has a more
>        exclusive membership policy.  New members must be nominated and
>        voted on by the current membership.
>     2. Breadth. Successful projects exist at both ends of the breadth
>        continuum. At Debian membership is earn through the 'Debian
>        Developer Process[3]' as a result, the membership is very
>        developer centric. At Ubuntu[4] , a member is 'someone who's
>        made a substantial contribution to the Ubuntu community -- of
>        any type --'. This results in a very broad community.
>     3. Time. I was unable to find any large FOSS projects which set
>        term limits on membership. Many project's periodically request
>        that members in good standing renew their membership or are
>        dropped from the rolls.
>
> As always, questions, comments, and discussion is welcome. I will try to
> have rough draft membership guidelines ready to submit to SLOB by
> Friday.
>
> thanks
> dfarning
>
> 1 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board