[IAEP] OLPC at UW Madison - was Re: Study with Scratch?

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Fri Oct 24 19:21:13 EDT 2008

Brian,

I am forwarding this thread to the iaep ( its an education project) mailing
list so others can see what you are working on.

By way of an introduction to the list Brian and Silas are leading an OLPC
student organization at the University of Wisconsin.  Dr. Sandra Couter is
their organization sponsor and director of the engineering learning center.
I had the opportunity to meet with them for a few hour earlier this week.
These are some high energy as well as high achieving people.

Of great interest was a discussion we had about an XO/OLPC/SL course the
Eng. Department is offering next semester. It would be great if course could
focus on how to define and measure the effectiveness of the device and
learning platform:)

thanks
david

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Brian <excellsior at gmail.com> wrote:

> *LIVEUSB UPDATE*
>
> I have had a few minutes here at work at the end of the day to play with
> liveusb things.  I have had very immediate success with getting a liveusb
> created, bootable, and booted.  Try these steps:
>
> 1) download live image from: http://www.sugarlabs.org/go/Supported_systems
>     - i used the starch image of fedora (sugar v.8.2) w/ direct link:
> http://sdz.fedorapeople.org/olpc/sugar-spin.iso
> 2) create a liveusb w/ https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator
>     - runs fine on winxp
> 3) boot sugar on your laptop!

The developers at Redhat and Fedora have been great assets as we have been
working to make Sugar available everywhere!

Sugar is now running on Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu.  If any of these Linux
distributions run on your hardware, Sugar will run.  Sugar runs as a desktop
, like GNOME or KDE, on top of theses distributions so we can take advantage
ubiquity of linux on 'standard' hardware.

> Right now I'm off to the Kohl Center to do a few other things before the
> hockey game tonight, but I'll keep you guys posted on what success I have.
> ifconfig indicates that it loaded the nic drivers successfully (dell
> latitude d630), although i am not seeing any wifi networks show up yet in
> the neighborhood view.  (f1-4 keys work just as shortcut keys do on XOs.)
> The laptops are super quick and smooth with the gui, as could be expected.
> This is also my first go-round with 8.2.0, since I haven't updated my own XO
> yet.

If you find bugs, please post them in the bugtracker at
http://dev.laptop.org/ . We are in the process of setting up our own
bugtracker at sugarlabs.org, but in the meantime we will continue to use
d.l.o.

> Have a great weekend everyone, and happy hacking :)
> Brian
>

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Brian Kyle <bakyle at wisc.edu> wrote:
>
>> Andrea,
>>
>> I'd like to post you on some exciting news.  One wonder on my personal
>> wish-list has been the question: if Sugar is really just the gui/windows
>> manager that everyone claims it is, why don't we see it anywhere but the
>> XOs?  The open-source community has answered!  (Or more truthfully, I have
>> not had time to dig deep enough...)  *Sugar running on any *nix kernel.*
>>
>> Silas and I, with Sandy graciously taking a few minutes to visit with us
>> as well, spoke Wednesday afternoon with David Farning of Sugarlabs.  He
>> informed us that Sugar will be preinstalled on all of the upcoming Fedora
>> builds as a window manager.  Great news for those who don't wish to purchase
>> new hardware (e.g. XOs), don't see them as a need (e.g. downgrade), or for
>> many other reasons you might imagine.  Great news for those wishing to
>> propagate this little constructionist platform as well...  Perhaps there is
>> an opportunity here for your class?
>>
>> To sweeten the deal, there is a live-usb build with Sugar that allows
>> saving, so your students could continue working with their Scratch projects
>> at home.  I have googled to find a few possible solutions, but will talk
>> with David about what is most current and what he recommends.  The following
>> is from a Sept 30th Sugar mailing list:
>>
>> Sugar Live CDs: Greg Dekoenigsberg reports progress on a Fedora
>>> Live CD/USB  based on rawhide/F10. He has a LiveCD for Fedora 10 devel
>>> (Rawhide) that allows a Sugar 0.82 boot option via GDM. Activiites are
>>> still missing, but Greg says that we will close this gap quickly.
>>> There is also a kickstart file that can be used by any Fedora user to
>>> generate such an
>>> image trivially (See
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#Chapter_1._Introduction
>>> for some background on Fedora kickstarts). Also, see