[IAEP] OLPC at UW Madison - was Re: Study with Scratch?

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Fri Oct 24 21:43:28 EDT 2008

Hi Sandy and Andrea,

There are so many layers here I'm not sure who is working with the 4th/5th
graders....  Do your 4th/5th graders have access to computers at home?

We maybe working on similar use cases and trying to solve them with a "Sugar
on a Stick" solution.

You guys already have Sugar on a USB working.  Probably the other thing
you'll need is to send the kids home with a "boot helper" CD that allows the
USB to effectively boot off of any machine that is setup to boot from a CD.
This is most computers, whereas some older computers do not support USB Boot
and parents may not be enthusiastic about kids playing with the BIOS of
their home computers.

If this matches your use case You can follow and I hope contribute to the
project here.

http://www.sugarlabs.org/go/DeploymentTeam/School_Key

Let me know how it goes. I'm interested in finding out how robust the cheap
USBs are or if they get corrupted easily when subject to real world use.

Caroline

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com