[IAEP] Fedora Live CD for Sugar

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 22:41:04 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpgritti at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 3:41 AM, Bill Kerr <billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fedora live CD for sugar
> >
> > my impression is that it hasn't developed to the point where I should
> > upgrade for school use, eg. missing activities
> >
> > am I reading this correctly?
>
> Yeah, I think it will take another couple of weeks to be usable.
>
> > Do need the activities because if lots were missing then kids would think
> of
> > it as a downgrade
>
> Getting all of the activities working on standard Fedora might take
> more time. If you have a list of activities the kids care about in
> particular, we can give them higher priority.

btw I forgot to mention a third hassle, the mama activities do not fit on
our default screen resolution (which is locked down by techs and not trivial
- time consuming - to alter)
what sometimes happens in practice is that little things like this end up in
those activities not being evaluated - in school environment where everyone
is very busy all the time

by comparison etoys has a convenient way to resize the screen within the
program

these are the activities that have been more popular and / or which I want
to push the kids in the direction of looking at more closely

I'm not sure which activities enable collaboration and which don't - a list
of those would be handy for me

X2o: A puzzle solving and critical thinking game similar to the Incredible
Machine; make crazy contraptions to get the O back on top of the X
vu.lux.olpc.Pacmanpacman: A Pacman clone
gcompris: educational games
guido van robot: Educational programming language, IDE and lessons; Stable
with 18 lessons included
simcity: Construct and maintain your own city
Terminal – linux command line (explore some linux commands)
Story Builder - Graphical story constructor with a variety of characters and
backgrounds and simple word-processing capabilities (MaMaMedia)
Speak – An animated face that speaks whatever you type
Scratch - multimedia visual programming language
Slider puzzle- Slider Puzzle to improve on puzzle solving skills (MaMaMedia)
Pippy – Python Programming language/environment (run samples by clicking on
grey horizontal line)
Maze - Maze game
Jump - A Marble-Jumping Solitaire Game. Works in Sugar; Created by a Team at
Carnegie Mellon University
Jigsaw Puzzle - Classic picture-constructing game (MaMaMedia)
DrGeo II - Euclidean Geometry
Etoys - Learning / visual programming / authoring environment; includes
Kedama which can simulate hundreds or thousands of objects
FlipSticks - org.worldwideworkshop.olpc.FlipSticks Using keyframes, program
a stick figure to twist, turn, tumble and dance (MaMaMedia)
Cartoon Builder - Animate a cartoon character by creating a sequence of
poses inside a filmstrip (MaMaMedia)
Chat - Text chat
BlockParty – Tetris-inspired game
Browse - Web browser based on Mozilla Firefox

(I noticed some interesting new activities on the activities page but
haven't evaluated them yet)