[IAEP] gitorious and OLPC

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Nov 9 21:01:45 EST 2008

[cc += hhardy, sugar@]

Seth Woodworth wrote:
> Are we coordinating with the people from gitorious?  AFAIK there is
> another project that Henry just gave the +1 to and offered a laptop.org
> <http://laptop.org> subdomain.
>
> Is this a separate project?

A plan was in the air, but we need to coordinate better on the details
with Henry and everyone else involved.  This thread is where the
discussion got started.  I was also planning to be at 1CC tomorrow in the
afternoon, so if we have some time we can talk it through in person.

It makes more sense for Sugar activities and components to live on
src.sugarlabs.org, while the OLPC platform-specific repositories such as
olpc-utils could probably just remain where they are on dev.laptop.org.
I guess they don't require a lot of sysadmin time to maintain anyway.

> I don't really have the time to get involved in either.  But I really
> want to make sure that no one is duplicating a project when they could
> be working together.

We want to avoid duplication of effort, but not necessarily of git trees.
  If I were a vendor, I'd probably want to maintain local copies of
repositories where the release-time customizations would go with faster
turnaround.

This is what all the Linux distros end up handing large upstream projects,
although some of them historically used for this purpose a set of patches
as opposed to a full blown vendor tree.  Git is changing the equation in
favor of vendor branches, as it makes it damn simple to rebase local
changesets over new releases and migrate them upstream as they pass
through maintainer's review.

This is how my DSCM-oriented mind sees it.  If end up being more inclined
towards a time-tested, traditional centralized workflow, we might keep
using vendor/release branches as many projects still do (gcc, for instance).

--
    // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
  \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/