[Its.an.education.project] Ivan's latest blog entry on OLPC

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Wed May 14 20:02:18 CEST 2008

Cristoph,

_Universities: _there has been news (about 3 months) that just one
university was involved in the issue.  That university is the one were
the Minister of Education was the main authority before becoming
Minister (Univ. San Martin).  I have talk with people of the University
of Lima and I have read news from the Catholic University (2 of the ones
that have enough economic power to back up many developments) and all
the information says that other Universities have not been invited to
participate in the project.  The lack of "community participation" has
been debated very hard in the peruvian internet forums related to the
OLPC case.  The people that create some of this forums was so annoyed
that they close the forums and don't accept more debate about the issue
(I think that they have better things to do that hitting against a wall,
or been on the news as oponents to the Peruvian OLPC project when they
don't feel like that).

_Contributing with content and educational methods:_ as I have told you,
hundreds of teachers have been trained (around year 2000) in
construccionism as a way of teaching.  There must be hundreds of "first
hand" experiences to pick up, organize, and from these people all kind
of help can be got.  But, I think, is the Minister of Education, the
only one that can call to these people for help (at least they know who
they are, were they are, and have the resources to develop some
statistical or massive measurement of the construccionism during the
last 8 years in Peru).  But... I guess that IF they (the many Ministers
of Education that we have got in the last 8 years) have not tried to
pick up the data is because the results are not big news or big results
(politicians need big news or bir results to survive.  It is a matter of
common sense for a politician).  My hope is that 240,000 XOs deployed
all around Peru they become COMMUNICATION tools that goes beyond the
limits of the small town, then ALL the teachers around Peru will be able
to communicate one each other trough mail lists, chats, web 2.0 methods,
forums and many other ways.  But... it is common in many government
organizations (I know this from first hand, in many goverment offices)
that tech person in charge of the "proxyes and nats" devices are
instructed to block all kind of port that are used for communication.  I
have been able to track some goverment office that "record" all the info
that goes trough their "server" (it was the CONACS, that is a dependency
of the Minister of Agriculture, it happens around 5 years ago, the tech
people in charge keeps the same until today, I have denounced the issue
with the top authorities and congressmen without success or penalties
imposed to that people until today).

_Content, 100 books... : _ Well... those "100 books" are nothing.  They
come from an old project (named "Huascaran", that in front of many
people it is a total failure) these "100 books" coollection are obscure
tales, writings from another obscure author (more than 30!), put me on
tears when I review what this set of "books" offer.  I am building a
huge collection of "on line books" to provide some source of content.  I
don't know about other efforts (there must be some!) and I have never
heard about the results of the pilot in Arahuay (I have at hand just the
news, newspapers and reports... and these are valuable personal points
of view but they are not organized results...).

Let's keep working, let's keep moving.

Best regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru