[Its.an.education.project] It's a community-driven project, not a fork project!

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu May 8 03:35:20 CEST 2008

Hello everyone,

I was contacted by several people who expressed concern regarding a
"fork" of Sugar and for other disruptions to its development.  Please
be assured, there are no plans to fork Sugar: we need to focus our
limited resources on a unified effort.

However, the community is discussing a "spin-off" of Sugar,
decentralizing control over the project as it expands to more hardware
and distributions.  Hopefully, OLPC will be a leading contributor, but
not the only one.

In Nicholas' own words, Sugar needs a wider basis, to run on more Linux
platforms, and to run on...*cough* err... yes, even Windows! -- if someone
shows up who is willing to do the work!

A prerequisite to get companies and individuals with different goals
working together productively is that no single entity controls the
game by fiat.  It has to be the "Will of People".

In a community-driven process, you can influence decisions in two primary ways:
 1) by contributing resources to make things happen; and
 2) by convincing others of your great ideas.

FAQ:

Q: Isn't this just anarchy?