[Its.an.education.project] Sugar on the EEE PC

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed May 7 21:44:25 CEST 2008

>  >  - Prefer vector graphics over bitmap graphics
>
>  Often not, as this can be slow.

Fair enough; we should certainly be sure we cache the rasterized
images when it could have a big impact on performance.  We certainly
do this for the pulsing icons used in various locations.

>  Also, note that this doesn't actually work. Sugar's
>  icons have to be a specific size. With that and the
>  two-color restriction, we might as well go back to
>  using *.xbm files! It's like the 1980's all over again,
>  but incompatible. At least we get similar performance.

The two color "restriction" is a core part of the network
collaboration identity model, and is only enforced on activity icons.
This says nothing about icons used elsewhere in activity interfaces
and such.  Also, your comment about scaling is simply inaccurate.
SVGs are (by definition, in fact) scalable, and we use that to our
advantage all over the UI.  The requirement of the default size
ensures that all icons are properly padded for equal visual weight,
but has no ultimate effect upon the size the icons get rendered within
the UI, which is handled dynamically.

- Eben