[Its.an.education.project] Cleaning up the activities page

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue May 6 13:22:25 CEST 2008

Bryan Berry wrote:
> we really need a maintainer for the Activities page and in fact a wiki
> page is a really bad place to showcase working activities. Wikis are
> great for collaborative editing of documents and that's pretty much it.
> I think we of OLPC movement have used wikis way past their marginal
> utility

A wiki is a sufficiently versatile tool to do many other things
besides a WardsWiki or a Wikipedia.  I use mine as a CMS, for my
blog, for ToDo's and bug tracking, as an agenda and as a phonebook.

What changes everything is the editing policy: I only append new
stories to the top of the blog, and I don't allow others to edit or
view my ToDo page.

So, for the activity page could ask (no need to enforce for now)
people to follow certain rules.  If it seems that stricter editorial
control would work better in this case, we will nominate a volunteer
who would maintain it and ask everybody else to stay away, basically
turning the wiki into an easy to use CMS.

My personal view is that a good maintainer would just set a reasonable
policy, then set a watch on the page and cleanup after the edits that
drifted away from it.

Only after repeated cases of vandalism, one could temporarily resort
to ACLs to actively prevent collaborative editing on the page.

--
   \___/
  _| o |  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/