[Its.an.education.project] Is there some toy computer that comes with a programming language?

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Tue May 6 06:09:33 CEST 2008

Javier asked

“I would thank if some of the guys (girls?) here can tell me if you know about some toy computer that comes with a programming language ?... what results got the teachers and pupils ?”

Edward says
“I would like to start a Best Practices list, which I suppose I will do in a minute on the Laptop Wiki, to include the best tools and learning materials we collectively know of.... any third grader can learn to program in any of several languages”

Bryan replies to a question
“(To what extent have you taught the Nepalese teachers about using programming exercises in lessons?) We haven't done it at all but intend to”

Javier is right to ask what experience educators have in teaching with computers. There is a lot of material to draw on and a lot of lessons to learn from experience on other platforms.

Bad use of computers predominates, typically teaching kids how to format documents in MS Word. This is a bad use of computers because it focuses on simple procedural skills which will be obsolete by the time kids enter the workforce. Other bad use includes Google and Powerpoint, unfortunately material can be copied and pasted while bypassing any mental processing.

Some examples of good (&constructionist) use of computers at http://etrain.pbwiki.com/

including activities like:
podcasting
claymation
video making
programming (games)
animation
music composing

Iconic programming languages ie. drag and drop languages like etoys have been used in schools since 2002. They include Click and Play, Game Maker and Stagecast, see student work at  http://www.rupert.id.au/schoolgamemaker/links.htm#schools .

Students as young as grade 3 have been taught to program with iconic languages but the optimal starting year seems to be grade 5. Children from advantaged backgrounds pick it up in a free form constructionist way but disadvantaged students (from developed countries) need a more instructivist (Prussian) approach with a high level of scaffolding. The deep thinking and education presumably happens when you move away from instructivist to constructionist teaching. It is unclear whether students in the third world would be like either group because we do not understand the processes involved. I estimate that there would be in excess of 100 schools here doing programming with young (grade 4-9) kids.

I would like existing practice to be better researched and OPLC/Sugar to build on these experiences

Tony