[Its.an.education.project] Support of current deployments... Or: The core mission.

Alfonso de la Guarda alfonsodg at gmail.com
Tue May 6 04:02:01 CEST 2008

At least,

Hernan Pachas, a friend and Fedora Embassador, could help because their key
position on the OLPC Peruvian Deployment.  I have speak with Hernan some
days ago and we will coordinate some efforts in the precise time, by the
way, our current expositions of OLPC on many events always will join
XO+FLOSS, is another way?.
The peruvian issue is an marketing job and currently the goverment is trying
to "legalize" all the software because the arrives of Free Trade Agreement
with US.  By example, my company is currently migrating all the servers and
desktops for Ubuntu solutions for the Peruvian Army, the same way with other
goverment institutions.  If we consider that the politicians wanna follow
the "flow" and stop microsoft agenda, surely Sugar 2.0 with Linux will still
present.

2008/5/5 Christoph Derndorfer <e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at>:

> Hey all,
>
> amongst all the things that have been discussed on this list over the
> past days and weeks there's one issue that I feel hasn't received the
> attention it deserves:
>
> How are we / the Sugar 2.0 people / the "learning² foundation" going to
> support and work with the current deployments in Peru, Nepal, Mongolia,
> Haiti, et al?
>
> In my mind this core question directly relates to many other things that
> have been discussed such as feedback loops and collaboration between
> stakeholders such developers, teachers, deployment teams on the ground,
> local volunteer organizations, people with experience in sustainable
> development, large entities such as MoEs, UNESCO, NGOs, etc. (another
> core topic in my opinion)
>
> At one point very early in the discussion - probably before many of you
> joined in - Ivan Krstic wrote the following:
>
> "Bottom line, I think the idea of a single organization consulting on
> software/content/deployment is compelling: let OLPC turn into a laptop
> vendor as they appear determined to, but have *a place where countries
> can go to make the laptops actually serve an educational purpose,
> regardless of which laptops they're buying*."
>
> We / the Sugar 2.0 people / the "learning² foundation" could (and in my
> opinion should) be that place. We can talk about constructivism, APIs,
> documentation, packages, etc. all day long but it won't make a
> difference unless actual deployments are effected by our efforts.
>
> On a more personal level for me this core mission also answers the
> question that Antoine van Gelder asked over the weekend: "Education is a
> huge project, where do I see myself fitting in?"
>
> My €0.02,
> Christoph

Alfonso de la Guarda
COS