[Its.an.education.project] Further training

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon May 5 07:18:52 CEST 2008

To what extent have you taught the Nepalese teachers about using
programming exercises in lessons? This can be done in many ways, and I
have some knowledge of the literature and researchers in this area.
Others in the OLPC community presumably know more than I do about it.

The basic technique for introducing programming is to have programs
that are interesting to use, but simple enough so that children can
make small changes to get interesting behavior. This is known to work
in third grade, and I conjecture that we can move it to earlier grades
using appropriate cases. In fact, I believe that pre-literate children
could be introduced to iconic graphical programming systems based on
appropriate research. Does anybody know of research on such a system?

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/