[Its.an.education.project] untangling constructionism

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri May 2 21:56:11 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 2:15 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> Bill Kerr wrote:
>
>  > It can be important to know what words really mean and to use them
>  > correctly. I think the word "constructionism" is being thrown around
>  > carelessly at the moment. These trends should be avoided IMO:
>  >
>  >     * that constructionism is the best or only good learning theory
>
>  Although I don't want to impose my own view of what is relevant to this
>  list, I think discussing the validity of constructionism is not on-topic.

I take the validity of Constructionism as a given on this list, within
the wider framework of proven educational ideas and practices. The
conversation should include how to explain Constructionism, and
examples of Constructionism at work. We also need to talk about the
opposition to Constructionism.

Most of the education establishment around the world has internalized
the Prussian education model to such a degree that they can hardly see
it, like the proverbial fish that cannot discover water. The original
Prussian plan was to dumb down education to a factory model, in which
the workers (teachers) would be taught only how to operate the levers
provided to them--the same lessons taught from the same
government-approved textbooks to every child in the country on the
same day. The purpose of the plan was to create a patriotic and docile
populace that would not attempt to interfere in matters of state--war
with neighbors, and pillage of colonies. It's still working, although
in the US the pillage currently extends to the population at home, and
the wars are global.

I have expanded the Wiki page on Constructionism, and created some
others to link to. I would be delighted if others would join in. Is
there a book on the subject that one can recommend to the public, and
one that can be recommended to teachers who have had the usual kind of
training, and know nothing about Constructionism?

>  If we are here, it's because we want to continue our educational effort
>  and Sugar in the way it was conceived.  And it was conceived by people
>  with strong belief in constructionism theories.

People with strong evidence that constructionism works.

>  >     * that constructionism is just learning by doing and making
>
>  I think most people on this list recognize that "learn by doing" or
>  "learning learning" are gross oversimplifications to give a quick
>  definition to the press.

It is important to stress guidance--patiently giving children hints
about what is discoverable, as in the design of the Montessori
teaching materials, or as described in Caleb Gattegno's little book
that is included in every set of Cuisenaire rods.

>  >     * that constructionism means much the same as freedom

Not really, and in any case, few people have any clear grasp of what
freedom might be. Amartya Sen is one. See Development as Freedom.

>  It may not mean the same, but it can easily seen how each one is a
>  prerequisite of the other, and critical thought glues them together.
>
>  /Please/, let's not re-discuss constructionism and freedom in this list.
>  Sugar is an educational environment built around constructionism and it
>  also happens to be free software.  Let's take this assertion as a matter
>  of fact and discuss how it can be improved.

We also have to discuss how to present those connections to the world.
How can we get people to discover discovery itself? What can be done
with people who have rooted objections to it?

"Then felt I like some watcher of the skies,
When a new planet swims into his ken..."
Keats, On First Looking into Chapman's Homer, referring to Herschel's
discovery of Uranus

>  --
>    \___/
>   _| o |  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
>   \|_X_|  "It's an education project, not a laptop project!"

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/