[Its.an.education.project] untangling constructionism

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat May 3 03:07:32 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 2:15 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>
> wrote:
> > Bill Kerr wrote:
> >
> >  > It can be important to know what words really mean and to use them
> >  > correctly. I think the word "constructionism" is being thrown around
> >  > carelessly at the moment. These trends should be avoided IMO:
> >  >
> >  >     * that constructionism is the best or only good learning theory
> >
> >  Although I don't want to impose my own view of what is relevant to this
> >  list, I think discussing the validity of constructionism is not
> on-topic.
>
> I take the validity of Constructionism as a given on this list, within
> the wider framework of proven educational ideas and practices. The
> conversation should include how to explain Constructionism, and
> examples of Constructionism at work. We also need to talk about the
> opposition to Constructionism.

I hope, ehm, constructive discussion of constructionism is on-topic.
Considering the name of this list, "it's an education project, not a XXX
project"
should be valid, when filled in with many but not all things.

"what this project is" (education, collaboration?)  and  "what this project
is not" (laptop)  should be fleshed out.  I'm not sure into which group
ideas such as 'software' and 'constructionism' fall, but it's worth
clarifying whether this is a constructionism project, and that is considered
the only good learning theory, or whether it is an education project,
strongly influenced by constructionism, but interested in exploring many
good learning theories.

Other questions :
   is this [also] a research project?  Is defining and carrying out short-
or long-term studies an integral part of it?  Is collaborative participation
in data gathering and analysis an important part?
   is this an outreach project?  Is reaching new audiences of all ages and
backgrounds with a message of [the importance of] educational empowerment
integral or incidental?

SJ

It is important to stress guidance--patiently giving children hints