[IAEP] etoys now available in Debian's non-free repository

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 09:42:07 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:04 AM,  <david at lang.hm> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>
>> I think that the result of all this is that we can produce all of the
>> C (or some other language, maybe CLOS) and Smalltalk source files that
>> Debian wants (even if we think of the C as compiler output, we don't
>> have to bother them with that interpretation.) One of the compilers
>> translates a subset of Smalltalk to C, but I gather that other
>> compilers can translate all of Smalltalk/Squeak/Etoys/what you like to
>> their chosen target language. As I understand it, Debian wants to see
>> a commented set of semi-human-readable code in ASCII files (although
>> we can discuss using Unicode source) together with various multimedia
>> files in known open formats, from all of which an Etoys image can be
>> constructed,
>
> so far so good
>
>>  and they don't care how we generate them
>
> I think you are wrong here

I don't think your opinion or mine count. Debian's counts. What did they say?

>> , or what mix of
>> languages we use, as long as there are Free/Open Source compilers and
>> any other needed apparatus for them.
>
> this part is again correct.
>
>> I gather that all of this can be done by a fairly trivial Smalltalk
>> program. Would somebody write it and post it, and would somebody run
>> it and make the results available? Then if Albert agrees we've done
>> it, we can invite Debian to examine it, and get back to work.
>
> if you send them C that's generated and call that your source, it's the same
> thing as writing your code in C and sending assembler as your 'source'
> (assuming there was a cpu independant assembler)

The analogy doesn't work. If I have C, I'll send the C. I have friends
who used to write APL and ship Ada as source, and their military
customers never complained. If the generated C is well-structured and
has the comments from the Smalltalk embedded, so that people can
understand it, what's the problem?

> breaking out the .source and .changes files that have been referred to in
> this thread and having the build process create the resulting blob that you
> use would probably be acceptable (and far more useful as people can then
> send out patches to those files)

I personally don't mind which files are generated or how. If .source,
.changes, and VM source are sufficient, hooray. If we generate the
files some other way, hooray. I want to see readable, commented C and
Smalltalk, or some other such combination.

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/