[IAEP] etoys now available in Debian's non-free repository

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Fri Jun 20 11:21:50 CEST 2008

Hi,

etoys is now available in Debian's non-free repository, so it's not officially
part of Debian (non-free isnt Debian), but technically can be installed with
apt-get/aptitude easily.

The reason for having it in non-free is that the Debian ftpmasters don't think
it passes the criteria for inclusion in main. The etoys maintainers disagree
with that but have decided to upload it to non-free for the time being, for
the benefit of the users, so they can install it easily.

The reasons are described in more detail
in /usr/share/doc/etoys/README.non-free - readable for the next 72h at
http://paste.debian.net/6962/

The next step will be to file a bug against ftp.debian.org to (hopefully) get
this resolved and etoys moved into main. Most probably this will take some
time until I do that, to not distract us (Debian people) from releasing Lenny
in time.

That's also why we gave up trying to convince the ftpmasters now (we tried..),
time is running out to get new software into Lenny...

regards,
	Holger