[IAEP] sugar on standard laptops

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Tue Jun 10 08:47:14 CEST 2008

Hi Joel,

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Joel Stanley
<joel.stanley at adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I've been in discussions with local teachers who are interested in
> using Sugar in the classroom.  We are looking at using conventional
> laptops for the task, due to the ease of acquiring them over other
> options.
>
> What work needs be done to get Sugar on $distro working?  From my
> experimentation, it works, but there are areas where improvement would
> change the situation from works to rocks.  Bernie mentions some of
> these below:
>
> Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>>> Do you think sugar-on-{debian, ubuntu, fedora} is mature enough to do
>>> put it in the hands of kids in a months time?  Who shall we talk to
>>> about this?
>>
>> We're not quite there, actually.  The major issues I see are:
>>
>> - there are DPI problems when Sugar runs on different resolutions...
>>  Marco knows the issue and how to fix it.

Yup, please ping any of us if you get into this issue and need guidance.

>> - nobody (afaik) ever packaged sugar to autologin at power on.
>>  On Debian, I even had to configure the X session to start Sugar
>>  on my own.

I think that both in F9 and Ubuntu Hardy, sugar is started by gdm like
any other desktop. Not sure about Debian.

>> - I think the presence service, ohm, and other daemons need some
>>  integration work.
>
> To those doing the great Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora packaging work; are
> you aware of the extra integration of daemons that Bernie mentions?
>
> For example, I hadn't thought about ohm.  Should someone spend time on
> that, or would using something like gnome-power-manager - which has a
> lot more usage, afaik, than ohm - make more sense?

The presence service is already packaged and Sugar itself doesn't
depend on OHM as that's a bit too low level.

Good luck,

Tomeu