[IAEP] Fwd: wiki - status report june 4

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 23:14:38 CEST 2008

[resending to list]

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 5:03 PM, David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 22:23 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:16 PM, David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Here is a update of the wiki status.
> > >
> > > 1.  Started creating framework for developing modules within the large
> > > sugar community.
> > > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/SugarLabs:Community_Portal#Modules
> > >
> > > I would like to begin the 'big move' by first moving/copying the olpc
> > > information regarding theses topics to Sugar Labs. Is this something
> > > that I should talk to Sj about? or would someone who has been involved
> > > with OLPC and Sugar Labs prefer to start that conversation?
> >
> > Can you explain more in detail what you would like to move where?
>   * SugarModule
>      * SugarBaseModule
>      * SugarDatastoreModule
>      * SugarPresenceServiceModule
>      * SugarToolkitModule
>      * SugarArtworkModule
>
> /loop/
> 1.  I would like to go through the OLPC wiki page by page looking for
> material related to developing the 6 modules listed above.  (working
> with around 5 pages per batch)
> 2.  Post a 'wiki -move request' to iaep and a appropriate communication
> channel at OLPC.

The appropriate channel is the OLPC wiki itself.   Transwiki'ed pages should
copy their edit history to the new site.   The OLPC wiki could use a new
template for suggesting a page for a transwiki move -- if it's no longer
needed on the OLPC wiki, it can be replaced by a soft redirect.

> 3.  After receiving approval, export pages from wiki.olpc this will
> leave original contents at olpc.

You don't need approval to export pages from the wiki.  Both wikis use an
attribution license, which makes reuse pretty straightforward.

> 4.  Tag pages on OLPC as "Maintained at Sugar Labs" as of \data\ with
> link to Sugar Labs page

Please only do this when it's clear that there is just one page being
maintained and updated -- then add more than a tag; a full-page template
that changes the background of the mirror page, saying "please go /here/ to
update" is clearest.  For an exapmle, see the Help: pages on any wikipedia,
which point to meta.wikimedia.org for the latest version.

> 5.  Import pages into correct place on wiki.sl heirarchy.
> 6.  sleep several days
> 7.  restart loop
> /end loop/

You might want to measure out your sleep more carefully.

> /for each loop/
> 1. After brief waiting period, (1 week?) update links to original olpc
> pages with an interwiki link to new location at Sugar Labs.

A proper interwiki map can help make [[sugar:TITLE]] and [[olpc:TITLE]] do
the right thing.

> 2.  After a second brief wait, (1 more week) replace original contents
> at olpc with a redirect to new location.

I don't think this is the right thing to do -- for most of the pages I can
imagine in the above modules, the olpc page should include a short
description and a link to details; at worst a number of specific subpages
can be merged into a higher-level page, but each module will likely still
want a couple pages @ olpc with a different lens into the information @
slwiki.

> 3.  Request deletion of original page at olpc.

If the original page was at all interesting, it's better to leave a soft
redirect. deleted pages break links on the wider web, which we don't want to
do.

> > Bernie, I thought we installed the latest?
>
> Sorry, sugarlabs.org is running 1.12.  I thought it was 1.5 last night
> when I was attempting to debug my bot login.

SJ