[IAEP] Sugar for Service Learning

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 22:40:46 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Earth Treasury is starting a project to create digital textbooks and
>> teacher training materials.
>
> Ed, can you please include a URL when you make statements like this?

It was announced on this mailing list. As it happens, you can now look
at Creating textbooks in the SL Wiki. Sugar Labs, Alan Kay's
Viewpoints Research, The Doug Engelbart Institute at SRI, FLOSS
Manuals, Creative Commons, and OLE have expressed strong interest.

>> Currently I am without an XO,
>
> Only temporary, I hope.  How did this happen?

The B2 is temporarily in pieces, and a B4 was stolen along with my
regular laptop.

>> The Tech Museum of Innovation in San Jose would like in principle to
>> be a test site,
>
> Now this would be fantastic.

They are committed in principle, as I said. That came about during the
Program for the Future conference last week, when Peter Friess
complained during a presentation that Apple won't let The Tech have
prototype iPhones and such like to display. Since OLPC and Google
handed out prototypes fairly widely during development, I assured him
that we could make a deal. We are arranging to meet for substantive
discussions. The Exploratorium and Zeum in San Francisco have
expressed some interest, also. I would love to see an XO being a
digital oscilloscope or a microscope at the Exploratorium.

I would like it even better if someone were willing to buy each
institution 30 or more XOs, so that they could bring in whole classes
from schools for one-to-one computing. Say, 100 from GiveMany for SF,
for the Exploratorium, the Zeum, and the CA Academy of Sciences; and
100 for Silicon Valley, for The Tech, The Children's Discovery Museum,
and...I don't know. I'm sure we'll find a place.

Similarly, I would like to do the Children's Museum in Indianapolis,
the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, the Smithsonian, and so
on and on.

> SJ

And Children are my nation.