[IAEP] Sugar for Service Learning

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 06:04:45 EST 2008

Often I think that institutions like a Science Museum just need just a
couple of laptops running Sugar. With 30 they tend to be boxed and only get
handed out when it is 'safe' to do so. With just one they miss out on the
collaboration feature (akin to handing out a mobile phone and just inviting
them to play with the address book function), With at least two, things can
start to cook ..

Imagine a public foyer with a ring of six OLPC computes or Sugar enabled
NetBooks that kids can click and play with, glued or secured to a round
oard  .. painted out with a world map or UN logo, .. and perhaps a central
solar charger / crank charger. Some laminated cards with background info and
some basic "Try this" Sugar instructions, perhaps also a face and profile
for each laptop that gives a case study or background to a current OLPC
owner in different 'third world countries'.

Just a thought but it could be used to inspire other science museums to give
the idea a try.  I would love to chat this over with the local science
museum (Joel / Bill / Tony?). A couple of years ago I volunteered to help
with the education resource activities on for CSIRAC, the last
first-generation computer.
     http://museumvictoria.com.au/CSIRAC/

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au