[IAEP] Working math graphs/plots

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Sat Dec 13 00:23:00 EST 2008

I have seen a "?" button, meaning click the question mark and then click
anything else in the GUI to get a brief explanation.  It would allow someone
to ask about a particular widget without waiting.  It could also offer a
"tour of the activity" video. But maybe that would be offered better on the
icon used to launch the activity.  I find these sorts of videos to be
extremely helpful, as they are like looking over the shoulder of an
experienced user.

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2008, at 01:53, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Gary C Martin
> > <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:

> >> Help is already exposed in the hover menu for each toolbar icon. Not
> >> discoverable enough?
> >
> > Absolutely not enough. I have to wait for the menu to expand _twice_.
> > How was I supposed to discover that?
>
> You could always read the Calculate wiki page, that's where I first
> read about the plot feature ~11 months or so ago. In the perfect
> world, every feature you needed at any moment would be clearly
> represented in the UI. Different individuals use software in different
> ways, it's always very hard to get this right (and it's _never_
> perfect).
>
> >> Seems Reinier' s Calculate has much more effort/detail
> >> put in than any other activity so far.
> >
> > That doesn't mean that he got it right. I really, really hate delayed
> > hover menus, and I hate doubly-delayed hover menus many times more.
>
> Being cheeky here... so right click and move on with life :-p (and, as
> a Mac user, you have no idea how much it pained me when I first saw
> the project was going for 2 mouse button use).
>
> Sometimes I like the whole concept of hover menus, sometimes I think
> they sucks. The idea is certainly going to have to be reworked (along
> with a large chunk of the existing UI) if we get Sugar to a gen 2
> touch interface.
>
> > First, because they are inherently not discoverable, and secondly,
> > because you are wasting my time, and every other user's time. I reject
> > the argument that we are trying to teach children to click icons
> > directly, and note that it doesn't even apply in the case of help.
>
> For me, I always consider the need for help text (and manuals) to be a
> level of failure in design. Help texts are a large burden on everyone
> (quality, translation, UI space, updates, accuracy), but often are the
> cheapest first pass when you realise some feature not discoverable
> enough.
>
> Any concrete UI suggestions for calculate features (or activities** in
> general) to be more discoverable for you? You're not allowed to add
> this as another potential FLOSS book TODO ;-) Well OK, I guess that
> might be a workaround if there's no better UI effort (and teachers
> like static books, right?).
>
> ** my latest casual discovery was that Write has customised its keep
> toolbar icon, so if you hover you can choose to keep a copy as RTF,
> HTML, or plain text. Well hidden, but this could be extended to 'keep'
> to all kind's of interesting places (i.e. push to a Moodle server, an
> outbound email, web site upload). Hopefully some Journal 'sharing'
> feature will be a generic solution for any activity.
>
> --Gary
>
> > My general principle of UI design is, never, ever try to be smarter
> > than your user. Not even if you are. Now that I know that help is on
> > the menus on double delay, I will almost never use it that way,
> [...]

"Don't think for a minute that power concedes. We have to work like our
future depends on it."  -- Barack Obama