[IAEP] [bytesforall_readers] Learning skills, not degrees, will do

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 20:41:43 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Anil Jaggi <jaggianil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pls.  follow this  links to understand the  present ongoing  education
> systems  and mental  status o parents like me.
> http://www.tribuneindia.com/2008/20081209/dplus1.htm
>

> appreciate to get your comments, feedback
>
> Happy reading
> Anil

At the Program for the Future conference in honor of Doug Engelbart on
the 40th anniversary of The Mother of All Demos (Look him and it up on
Wikipedia), I made the following statement.

"Eleanor Roosevelt said that first-rate minds discuss ideas,
second-rate minds discuss events, and third-rate minds discuss people.
All of the history we teach in schools is about events and people, and
not about ideas at all. All of what we do in schools is about getting
the officially-approved Right Answer, but the most important questions
don't have Right Answers. What is real? (Ontology) What is true, and
how do we determine what to believe, what to reject, and what to
withhold judgment on? (Epistemology) What should we do, even if we
don't want to? (Ethics) All of politics, philosophy, and religion is
about questions that do not have Right Answers. But as long as we only
test children on having the Right Answers, they cannot learn anything
else. How can we fix the schools in this situation?"

Everybody agreed that this is the dilemma, but nobody had answers.
Well, it's my question, and I have an answer to it. My organization,
Earth Treasury (named for Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva, protector of
children) is preparing to write the new textbooks for this revolution
in the schools, textbooks that will embed software to teach ideas and
understanding, not just Right Answers, and mastery of skills, not just
recipes for getting Right Answers. And the school textbook committees
will not be able to keep them out of classrooms, nor will Ministries
of Education or anybody else, because we will give these electronic
textbooks away for free! Not only that, but we will license them so
that any community can translate them to its own language and adapt
them to its own needs. We will recruit the children themselves to tell
us what works and what doesn't for teaching them, and get them to
contribute to the next improved version, and the next one after that.

There will be obstacles. It is a lot of work, and even if the books
are free, the computers to run them will still cost money. Many
countries do not have the political will to spend this money on
children, especially not on poor children. Parties and politicians may
resist even when you can prove that educated children will grow up to
create new industries that will pay many times more than enough in
taxes to make it a profitable investment. We will face opposition,
too. The fiercest opposition will come from those who believe, or
pretend to believe, that they do have all of the Right Anwers (all of
them that matter, anyway): ideologues, charlatans, and the
self-deluded of many kinds, political, pseudo-scientific,
pseudo-economic, and pseudo-religious. They will say, and they do say,
that those who seek the Truth are the charlatans; that those who work
for the betterment of mankind are the charlatans; that those who plead
for the widow and the orphan are the charlatans.

As Gandhi-ji said, "First they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win," and I add, then they claim it was their idea all along.
Well, Harry Truman in the US said, "You can get a lot done if you
don't mind who gets the credit." I'm not here for credit, I'm here to
make it happen. Every one of you can play a part, because we need
every kind of knowledge and skill that the children should know about.
Even if you can't write software or textbooks, or translate them, you
can try them out and show them to other people. You can tell the
politicians that you want real education for your children and
grandchildren.

Never ask, "What can I do all alone?" You are not alone. Take the
trouble to find out who is with you, and work on your goals together.
You do not create a movement alone. You do it by finding the others
who wish they could do something, and showing them how they can, just
as you are doing.

And Children are my nation.