[IAEP] Working math graphs/plots

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 14:55:03 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 10 Dec 2008, at 18:41, Walter Bender wrote:
>
>> I haven't looked at it in a while, but what plotting engine is built
>> inside of the Calculator Activity?
>>
>> -walter
>
> I think Reinier wrote his own little svg plot generator class called
> plotlib.py.
>
> --Gary

I didn't know about the plotting capability, which will have endless
uses. It is certainly not discoverable.

Can we feed a segment of a data stream from Measure to Calculate as a
named function?

Why don't we put something like plot(f(x),x=min..max) on the toolbar?
Can we provide hints about the functions and syntax anywhere in the
UI? Is there a way to recall and edit an input line? Are there other
functions not exposed in the UI?

I have a fairly old book called Numerical Analysis on the Pocket
Calculator, which explains how to do all sorts of things that you
might not expect on even the simplest 4- and 5-function devices, and
works on up through the sort of algebraic calculator we have here to
the programmable calculator. Our users will need something like this,
to take maximum advantage of the seemingly limited capabilities we are
offering them.

And can we have an RPN mode? I can't tell you how much most real
engineers hate parentheses. We are not doing children any favors by
hiding the more advanced tools.
And Children are my nation.