[IAEP] Sugar Labs school server

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:55:39 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>>> Robert is ready to setup a VM and was asking if there's an image we
>>> could unpack to bootstrap it.
>>>
>>> Martin, what would you suggest?  Should we just install the 0.5
>>> install ISO?
>>>
>>>  http://xs-dev.laptop.org/xs/OLPC-School-Server-0.5-i386.iso
>>
>> Yep - that's the one!
>
> Robert, can you go on and do the initial installation for us?  Or is
> there a way we can manage it from remote?

bear in mind that the XS assumes that the XO laptops are in a LAN, not
on the - potentially hostile, end-to-end routed - Internet. Changes
required to use the XS in such scenario are left as an exercise for
the reader -- who's strongly advised to join server-devel@ ;-)

[Eventually we may get a special mode for this, but there's enough
work to do just to do the right thing in the standard scenario of a
school... which is my overriding goal.]

For example, lots of things hinge on XOs registering themselves with
the XS. Well, you should _not_ expose idmgr (the registration service)
to the internet. Never. Ever. Nunca. Jamas.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions