[Gsoc] GSoC Mentor's summit (and bugging Sascha)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 08:43:04 EDT 2009

2009/9/5 Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>

> CCing our treasurer.
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Jameson Quinn<jameson.quinn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > A)
> >
> > Mentors, you may have caught the traffic on the GSoC mentor's list about
> the
> > mentor's summit on October 24th and 25th (+ some on the evening of the
> > 23rd). Google is paying for 2 slots from each organization, but in all
> > probability has room at the summit for more. As far as I can tell from
> > asking on IRC, the people interested in going are Andres, Bryan, and
> myself.
> > Roughly, the tickets for Andres and Bryan put together should cost the
> $2000
> > that Google is fronting for travel. My ticket, including bus fare to
> Mexico
> > City, should be just under $500. The options for paying that:
> >
> > 1. I pay myself - I would probably not be able to, so wouldn't come
> > 2. Bryan and Andres each give me 20% of their travel subsidy, so that we
> all
> > end up with 80% subsidy and paying 20% (ie, figure out how to make the
> > percentages even). This is better from my perspective and worse from
> theirs.
> > 3. Sugar Labs uses part of the $2500 it made from GSoC to fund my travel.
> > This would of course be nice from our perspective. Walter, does it look
> > feasible from Sugar Lab's?
>
> #1 is unacceptable. Re #3, I don't know if that money is fungible, in
> that I thought it was designated to go to the mentors, in which case,
> there is little difference between #2 and #3 except the "pain" is
> spread a bit further--to all five of us. But personally, I support
> that option. Maybe we can ask each mentor to volunteer 20% of their
> honorarium?

Oh, you consider it an honorarium for the mentor? Google considers it a
subsidy for the organization, to use however the organization chooses, and
most orgs do not just hand it over to the mentor in cash. Certainly, I would
have no objection to getting $500 in cash, but that was not my expectation.
I suppose we have to answer this question before we choose between #2 and
#3. (Bryan already expressed some openness to #2, by the way.)