[math4] Getting involved with the project

Zachary Charles Clifton Zachary.Clifton at Colorado.EDU
Fri Jun 3 22:41:55 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I am wanting a little bit of direction of areas/groups in need of help. I am looking for anywhere I can learn and be of use on Math4. Here is some of my background to help in placement.

Education - Graduate student in Math Education at Oklahoma State. B.A. in Math and Physics from the University of Colorado at Boulder.

Research - Particle physics research primarily. Data analysis with slight coding.

Upper Division CS classes - Operating Systems Design, Algorithms, Numerical Analysis.

For languages I know scheme and c the best (moderate skill) and I am familiar with Python (but I would consider me a beginner). I have used UNIX tools and committed on large projects at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, so I have used CVS and such before (however, I'm sure I might mess up the first time on this system and need help).

I have successfully set up and installed a sugar development/test system in Ubuntu. I did not do the jhbuild, since I imagine I won't need that up to date of a build.

Any advice on groups and projects for a beginner to not bite of more than they can chew at first would be great. I imagine I would be of best use on slight coding with an emphasis on if anyone needs an education grad student's help (but I do understand and am fine working with code. It just probably won't be optimal. probably a lot of bubble sort equivalent algorithms ).

Let me know if there are any questions.

Thanks for your time!

Zachary C. Clifton