[math4] Getting involved with the project

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 23:09:11 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 22:41, Zachary Charles Clifton
<Zachary.Clifton at colorado.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am wanting a little bit of direction of areas/groups in need of help. I am looking for anywhere I can learn and be of use on Math4.

Have you looked at

http://en.flossmanuals.net/make-your-own-sugar-activities/

or

?

> Here is some of my background to help in placement.
>
> Education - Graduate student in Math Education at Oklahoma State. B.A. in Math and Physics from the University of Colorado at Boulder.
>
> Research - Particle physics research primarily. Data analysis with slight coding.
>
> Upper Division CS classes - Operating Systems Design, Algorithms, Numerical Analysis.
>
> For languages I know scheme and c the best (moderate skill) and I am familiar with Python (but I would consider me a beginner). I have used UNIX tools and committed on large projects at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, so I have used CVS and such before (however, I'm sure I might mess up the first time on this system and need help).

All excellent.

> I have successfully set up and installed a sugar development/test system in Ubuntu. I did not do the jhbuild, since I imagine I won't need that up to date of a build.

Right.

> Any advice on groups and projects for a beginner to not bite of more than they can chew at first would be great.

What do you think we should do for children that nobody is doing right
now? If it is more than you can do by yourself, we may be able to
recruit help for you.

> I imagine I would be of best use on slight coding with an emphasis on if anyone needs an education grad student's help (but I do understand and am fine working with code. It just probably won't be optimal. probably a lot of bubble sort equivalent algorithms ).

I don't know what is being done right now in math4, but there are lots
of places where you can help with programming, math, physics, or other
areas. There are bugs to work on, Google Summer of Code projects where
you might help out, and any Sugar Activity that catches your eye where
you have an idea not yet in the program.

I have been reviewing Peter Hewitt's math games in the last few days,
and I have sent him several ideas for enhancements and for new games.
I work on Playgo with Andrés Ambrois, and suggest uses for
text-to-speech in programs other than Speak, and so on.

We have also started to create various Open Education Resources (which
FSF would like us to call Free/Libre Educational Works) on
booki.treehouse.su, where you are welcome to look at what has been
done and see whether you would like to contribute. This Replacing
Textbooks project uses the same software as  FLOSS Manuals, which
wrote a set of Sugar manuals, and is busily translating them to
Spanish and other needed languages.