[math4] FIRST robotics team working on math4 project

Travis Axtell travis.axtell at gmail.com
Fri May 29 05:03:29 EDT 2009

Hello math4 list,

I'm a mentor for FIRST Robotics team 342 in Charleston, SC.  For a summer
project, I wanted to expose my high school students to some OLPC
game/activity programming and python to grow their skills.  Thanks to David
Nalley and Fedora, we were able to get 10 OLPCs to our teammates to get some
hands on experience the XO-1capabilities.  This also gave us direction for a
game that promoted math skills.

I have been following the list for a few weeks now and been keeping an eye
on the RIT projects and math4 skills list.  Our team met for the first time
yesterday and got everyone updated to the OLPC 8.2.1 release.  On Saturday
we're going to discuss what math4 curriculum chart items we're going to
tackle to include in our game.  I'll report back after we discuss on what
the team at large decides.  My goal for our summer project was at least 2
untouched line items from the list.

Thankfully I do have some great help, with two mentors with prior OLPC
experience.  One of which helped get Fedora running on the OLPC and the
other participated in an OLPC Jam and previously built an OLPC activity.

I'm sure from time to time I'll have some questions too, so thanks everyone
in advance for your help.  We're looking forward to being a part of the OLPC
team at large.  I'm open to your comments and advice.

Travis