[math4] Math project # 4.N.7 - Recognize classes

Greg S enimihil at gmail.com
Tue May 19 12:04:05 EDT 2009

Doug Glenn wrote:
> I have been trying to plow through the last couple months of mail in
> the list trying to get a handle on how things are progressing.  One
> item mentioned was an API.  I would like to find it and see what has
> already been done with it.  I'd also like to see if there is a common
> set of classes people are going to use, etc. It would be great if
> there was a common set of classes, declared global variable names,
> etc.  Has this been done?

The API that was mentioned is still in the early stages, and isn't an
all-encompassing far-reaching API.  Most of what is needed is already
provided by the Sugar framework.  Two other RIT Students and I have been
working on a simple API to retrieve quiz questions.  The idea is to
remove the burden of parsing and validating questions from the developer
of the Activity; this is especially useful as a lot of the code would be
the same across any number of Activities.

> Where also would I find all existing source code for these projects?
> Who is writing up the documentation on the API and classes?  The more
> information I can find, the better.

The main URL where you can find pointers to the documentation (such as
it is) and the source code (on git.sugarlabs.org) is on the wiki[1].

I'll be putting together a project status mail to the list soon, but at
least for now, the API is still in the early stages.  Things work, but
it's still pretty rough.

If you're looking to dive in feel free to take on any of the tasks
listed on the wiki (or in the source!), git makes it easy enough to get
started without and ceremony.

Greg S.

[1]http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Math4Team/RIT/Projects/Question_Support_API