[math4] How is Math learned?

Karlie Robinson karlie_robinson at webpath.net
Tue Mar 31 12:12:37 EDT 2009

Kathy Pusztavari wrote:
> Not everything can be taught efficiently (or even well)
> through discovery learning.

One thing I would like to post a caution flag on is "how math is taught"
and instead focus on how math is learned.  The only universal in
education is that every child has their own unique learning style.

While I'm not questioning the years of research that can be reviewed
about best practices in teaching and learning, we do not want to limit
ourselves to only the best practices.  We need to also consider the
dynamic nature of the technology.

I have no doubt that we can develop enough activities to effectively
teach 80% of children.  However, we must also strive to include
activities that reach the remaining 20%.  There's nothing about an open
source, connected platform that would limit teachers, parents and
students from downloading alternative activities.

~Karlie