[math4] How is Math learned?

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 12:19:13 EDT 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Karlie Robinson wrote:

> Kathy Pusztavari wrote:
>> Not everything can be taught efficiently (or even well)
>> through discovery learning.
>
> One thing I would like to post a caution flag on is "how math is taught"
> and instead focus on how math is learned.  The only universal in
> education is that every child has their own unique learning style.
>
> While I'm not questioning the years of research that can be reviewed
> about best practices in teaching and learning, we do not want to limit
> ourselves to only the best practices.  We need to also consider the
> dynamic nature of the technology.
>
> I have no doubt that we can develop enough activities to effectively
> teach 80% of children.  However, we must also strive to include
> activities that reach the remaining 20%.  There's nothing about an open
> source, connected platform that would limit teachers, parents and
> students from downloading alternative activities.

One of the great things about using open source as a philosophical basis
for this fight is that, once the code exists, it can be modified by
motivated amateurs.

There is no one more motivated than a geek parent trying to help his or
her kid who may have been badly pigeonholed as "learning challenged" in
some way.  The more activities we can build, the more jumping-off points
we provide to these talented and motivated individuals.

--g

--
Got an XO that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
   [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]