[math4] Learning in software

Kathy Pusztavari kathy at kathyandcalvin.com
Tue Mar 24 15:49:32 EDT 2009

 I was wondering about how any activity, not just math activities, are using
databases?  Again, a newbie question.

For information on Project Follow Through see:
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~adiep/ft/becker.htm (see the graphs)
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~adiep/ft/abt.htm
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~adiep/ft/grossen.htm

I put a hold on Disrupting Class at my library.  Right now I'm reading Super
Crunchers which actually has a whole chapter on Direct Instruction.  I use
DI simply because it works with my son with autism.  That, and all the
autism behaviorists said the same exact thing: DI curriculum and Precision
Teaching (timed learning).  After about the 20th professional, I thought
"gee, there must be something to this."

Upon using it with my son, I looked around and found that other "typical"
kids were not learning to read, hated math, didn't know their math facts,
and were terrible writers. I finished student teaching typical 4th graders
and used DI to teach pre-algebraic functions.  Nothing fancy but DI breaks
it down so well EVERY SINGLE ONE of the 26 students were able to figure out
function and simple coordinate graphing.  Yet most only knew multiplication
fact up to 3.  I even had some 5th graders in my class.

-Kathy