[math4] Multiplication (discussion)

Jason Rock rockj at rpi.edu
Mon Mar 16 22:42:50 EDT 2009

I would like to throw together a program to teach children multiplication
through repeated addition, but since it isn't really the sort of thing that
you just throw on flash cards I'd like to get some insight from other people
before I start programming.

My idea is given multiplication between x and y.
Allow keyboard input for x from 0 to ~12
y depends on a slider that is discrete on 0 to ~12

then display a "matrix" of images where the number of images across is x and
down is y

something that looks like
****
****
would represent 4*2
x*y would be displayed somewhere on the app

Does that sound like the sort of thing that would actually help students
learn the idea of multiplication?

===Code Stuff===
1) What is the best way to display an "array" of images so that (being
vector graphics) the images could re-size to take up as much room as they
can?

--Jason