[math4] FourthGradeMath Digest, Vol 2, Issue 15

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Sat Mar 14 12:48:17 EDT 2009

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009, Caroline Meeks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the organization of this team? Is there a leader or leaders?

Karlie and I seem to be the leaders.

> Is there anyone on the team who is looking into the research on pedagogy
> and about what work and what doesn't for Math instruction?

The only hesitation I have here is if we allow long pedagogical
discussions to slow down work.

The goals here are deliberately simple:

* Identify a set of learning objectives, as defined by existing curriculum
guidelines.  We've chosen Massachusetts 4th grade math:
http://sugarlabs.org/go/User:Gdk/4th_Grade_Maths

* Create activities that can tackle each of these objectives individually,
in a modular way.

* One by one, create a set of activities that ultimately address every
learning objective in the 4th grade math framework.

Any research that can help inform this very particular goal is welcome.

--g

--
Got an XO that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
   [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]