[math4] Class start-up

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 07:46:55 EDT 2009

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Nadège Michel wrote:

> This makes me remember a game I played when I was a little girl. It was
> called "Le Labyrinthe D'Orthophus" in French.
> I think that would be "The Maze of Orthophus" in English, but it was a
> French game, so you probably never heard about that game.
>
> So in this game you are a young boy ( or knight ), and you are in a
> dungeon. You walk around, opening doors. In each room (and sometimes in
> hallways) you meet some creatures (monsters, animals, people..) and you
> have to answer correctly their questions to go on your adventures.
> The questions are about maths or "French": grammar & orthography
> (orthography => orthophus).
> Each good answer rewards you a "letter". At the end of the game, you
> meet the dungeon master and this time the answer of the question had to
> be formed with the letters you collected before.
>
> You can find more information and download the game here :
> http://www.abandonware-france.org/ltf_abandon/ltf_jeu.php?id=1 It's in
> French, sorry :) But I would be happy to translate something if you ask.
> If you want to play, I don't know if it's possible with Linux, I never
> tried. I don't know much about DOS emulation.
>
> I think it's a good game, I spent many hours playing and learning with
> it, could be a great source of ideas.

Brilliant.  This is *exactly* the kind of thing I have envisioned.  SJ,
maybe your first course of action should be to get your kids to take a
look at this French game.  Even creating a direct analogue, perhaps.

This is the unfortunate thing about abandonware, and why it's important
to make sure that free software efforts succeed.

> By the way, I'm a French girl, Fedora user, XO owner, and a
> Fedora/Sugar/Free Software contributor "wanna-be".
> I'm a game developer, I work for Wizarbox, a little game development
> studio in Paris and I always wanted to develop games for linux or for
> the XO's on my spare time, so I would be happy to help you all with
> Mongo or other stuff. :)

We will make good use of your time, I'm certain.  Welcome.  :)

--g

--
Got an XO that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
   [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]