[math4] i18n

Shawn Willden shawn-olpc at willden.org
Thu Jun 18 23:53:19 EDT 2009

On Thursday 18 June 2009 08:07:44 pm Mike Major wrote:
> i'm struggling right now with how to display some text on the screen
> with some graphics. the easiest way would be to just include it in the
> svg graphics. [1]

Given that SVG is XML, and that SVG text is drawn with the <text> tag, it
seems like it would be a simple matter to include some placeholders in the
graphics and then use gettext to retrieve the local strings and substitute
them in.  It should all be UTF-8, so non-latin characters shouldn't be an
issue.

> the questions here is: should i be concerned about i18n? i know this is
> a open source project and you never know where it might end up.

Given the target market of the OLPC, I think it's unlikly that
English-language deployments will comprise even a small fraction of your
program's use.

Personally, I'm trying to do as much as possible without text to minimize the
amount of translation required.

	Shawn.