[Dextrose] Sugarizing applications

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 28 19:19:07 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 20:27 +0200, Ruben Rodríguez wrote:
> After some tests I've made a template for sugarizing applications into
> activities, based on libsugarize.so
> (http://download.sugarlabs.org/services/libsugarize/), with some
> provisions to make it platform independent.
>
> The template activity is at http://people.sugarlabs.org/quidam/Sugarize-42.xo
>
> It can be used to run any graphical application as an activity, taking
> care of runing it fullscreen and setting the X properties for the
> window (_SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ID and _SUGAR_BUNDLE_ID) so it closes
> properly. Of course, it does not handle anything related to journal
> integration, sharing, etc.
>
> The example in the template runs xterm.
>
> Regards,

Hi Ruben,

For further review can you post this to the sugar-devel list also?

Do you think this could work with applications that might need to use su
or sudo to write system settings? If that can work then there maybe an
alternative to having the "launch" button in "Advanced Network Settings"
at the bottom of the network applet. Another possible use would be for
calling system-config-date to set the time/timezone.

Just some thoughts,

Jerry