[Dextrose] Sugarizing applications

Rafael Ortiz rafael at activitycentral.com
Sat Sep 29 06:14:48 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 20:27 +0200, Ruben Rodríguez wrote:
> > After some tests I've made a template for sugarizing applications into
> > activities, based on libsugarize.so
> > (http://download.sugarlabs.org/services/libsugarize/), with some
> > provisions to make it platform independent.
> >
> > The template activity is at
> http://people.sugarlabs.org/quidam/Sugarize-42.xo
> >
> > It can be used to run any graphical application as an activity, taking
> > care of runing it fullscreen and setting the X properties for the
> > window (_SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ID and _SUGAR_BUNDLE_ID) so it closes
> > properly. Of course, it does not handle anything related to journal
> > integration, sharing, etc.
> >
> > The example in the template runs xterm.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> Hi Ruben,
>
> For further review can you post this to the sugar-devel list also?
>
> Do you think this could work with applications that might need to use su
> or sudo to write system settings? If that can work then there maybe an
> alternative to having the "launch" button in "Advanced Network Settings"
> at the bottom of the network applet. Another possible use would be for
> calling system-config-date to set the time/timezone.
>
> Just some thoughts,
>
> Jerry

The eternal problem with these kind of solutions (also discussed a number
of times on sugar-devel)  is that is not just enough to sugarize w/o collab
or journal integration. So in the end is not a good path to encourage its
use because you just end using a normal application without  sugar
benefits.

cheers.