[Dextrose] Defining Dextrose 4 code workflow

Ruben Rodríguez ruben at activitycentral.com
Wed Oct 17 21:21:21 EDT 2012

2012/10/18 Jerry Vonau <jerry at laptop.org.au>:
> One weakness in the current workflow is point 5 is not being met.:
> PRODUCTION: At this point the code is golden, and is automatically packaged
> into a rpm repo for general use.
>
> The src rpms should not really contain any patches at this point, the rpms
> should be assembled from the "production" branch in git to ensure what you
> see in git is what you receive in the src rpm without having to apply all
> the patches. Work should continue in the devel branch merging in upstream
> code, it should be the developers responsibility to "git pull" to their git
> repo to remain in sync, newer work should be in a state can be cleanly
> patched into the devel branch. Test rpms should be build at this point, as a
> means to prove working code before moving the code to the production branch.

Today's rpm's are mostly a proof of concept, not even intended for the
QA team. We will wait a couple more days until all the patches are
rebased before we start handing over packages for testing, that's why
the QA branch doesn't exist yet.

In any case, the rpm's are not compiled directly from the git repo
with the DX features applied, but a set of patches is generated and
included inside the src.rpm. That way both the original upstream
source and the Dextrose additions are present in the src.rpm in case
somebody wants to compile them with some customization (and also just
to follow the rules :).

--
Rubén Rodríguez
CTO