[Dextrose] Defining Dextrose 4 code workflow

Jerry Vonau jerry at laptop.org.au
Wed Oct 17 21:03:41 EDT 2012

On 17 October 2012 19:11, Santiago Rodríguez
<scollazo at activitycentral.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just finished first build of sugar-artwork and sugar rpms for dextrose4.
> They are based upon 0.97.6 and 0.97.7, the latest taged versions avaliable.
>
> As said, i just build them, nor installed or tested. Quoting Linus
> Torvalds, i*f* it *compiles*, it is *good*; *if* it *boots up*, it is
> perfect ;)
>
> Commits are being pushed to devel branch for sugar[1] and
> sugar-artwork[2], and on my personal clone for oob[3]
>
> Generated packages can be found here:
> http://download.sugarlabs.org/dextrose/daily/v4/
>
> [1] http://git.sugarlabs.org/dextrose/sugar/commits/devel
> [2] http://git.sugarlabs.org/dextrose/sugar-artwork/commits/devel
> [3] http://git.sugarlabs.org/~aklis/dextrose/aklis-oob-dx4/commits/dx4

One weakness in the current workflow is point 5 is not being met.:
PRODUCTION: At this point the code is golden, and is automatically packaged
into a rpm repo for general use.

The src rpms should not really contain any patches at this point, the rpms
should be assembled from the "production" branch in git to ensure what you
see in git is what you receive in the src rpm without having to apply all
the patches. Work should continue in the devel branch merging in upstream
code, it should be the developers responsibility to "git pull" to their git
repo to remain in sync, newer work should be in a state can be cleanly
patched into the devel branch. Test rpms should be build at this point, as
a means to prove working code before moving the code to the production
branch.

Jerry