[Dextrose] Status of Backup/Restore in Dextrose

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Sun Jun 26 06:23:59 EDT 2011

We are currently using Sascha Silbe's excellent Backup and Restore
activities in our current XO-AU OS 10.1.3-au series. I understand that
Dextrose has its own functionality for this. As we start think about
migrating over, do we need to keep Backup/Restore, or would this be
unnecessary duplication?

More specifically:

  1. does the Dextrose functionality do everything that Backup/Restore does?
  2. can Dextrose restore archives made with the Backup activity?

The second question is important as we are using Backup/Restore as
migration method: the XO can be flashed and the journal restored.

>From an information freedom perspective, we also want backups to be
restorable well into the future.

Thanks,
Sridhar