[Dextrose] [Sugar-devel] Dextrose 3 patches report

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 14:42:18 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The main reason for not including in SL Sugar at this point is that we
>> have encountered issues with builds of Activities for langs without a
>> glibc locale and there is no urgent need for SL and OLPC to manage a
>> local glibc file at the moment, I think waiting for the upstreaming
>> makes sense for them.  Of course, if anyone wants the draft locales, I
>> would be happy to share them.
>
> FWIW, this issue has been more an issue of packaging for upstreaming
> to Fedora. Not an issue for OLPC builds themselves.

Yes, Walter has more correctly characterized the issue of missing
upstream glibc locales that was encountered.

Pure speculation on my part, but I suspect that the fix for this will
not only require a push to the glibc upstream, but a pull of those new
locales by Fedora before the errors go away for Fedora packaging

Such is the challenge of being on the leading edge of  "new" languages
in GNU/Linux distros, but it is well worth it.  It also emphasizes my
desire to have a truly polished locale submitted on the first go, as
waiting for patches to trickle down from Gnome into distros could
introduce more variability and frustration than needed.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator