[Dextrose] [Fwd: Dextrose patch queue]

Sascha Silbe silbe at activitycentral.com
Sat Nov 27 14:57:45 EST 2010

Excerpts from Bernie Innocenti's message of Fri Nov 26 22:56:15 +0100 2010:

> > 6b2b970 Fix duplication of OLPC mesh icons
> >0521ff7 Indicate inactive state in mesh device icon
>
> Have these bugs been fixed in a different way upstream?

Don't know, but Dextrose disables mesh anyway. Personally I'd rather
drop pre-802.11s mesh support altogether (at upstream).

> > sugar
> > -----
> > 42d2d96 Click on journal icons with a exclusive time frame
> > - should use launcher feedback or fix race condition instead of fixed timeout
>
> Indeed. The actual bug may have been fixed some time ago, can't remember
> the details.

It has [1,2]. Patch marked as to-be-dropped.

> > f09bff1 set-default-scaling-to-100.patch
> > - fine for Dextrose (except for missing git metadata), but would be nice to fix? upstream
>
> Where do we need to use the default scaling of 72?

On low-res desktops I guess. Would need to check on my old laptop (I've
chosen the display of my desktop specifically for its high resolution).

For reference, the problem of scaling the Sugar theme properly to
different display sizes and resolutions is tracked as SL#39. [3]

> > e15f79e3 Add font dpi schema
> > - configure X server instead?
>
> Sayamindu would now better. This is complicated shit!

Yeah, I would like to see a complete rationale for this change.

> > da33877 Change the method to add new actitivities in the activities list in home view
> > - rationale? fix sorting instead?
>
> Yes, the activities were appearing in backwards order (oldest first).

SL #1660 [4]. It would be nice if aa gave the real fix a try. The
problem I had doesn't seem to happen for the Journal sorting, so he
probably knows how to avoid it.

> > 940eb54 + acb3ab6 Journal Volumes Backup and Restore
> > - replace with JEB-based approach
> > 67f22db Journal XS backup and restore
> > - is based on 940eb54 Journal Volumes Backup and Restore
> > - use gconf notification
> > - isn't this supposed to happen automatically?
> > - use activity for restore?
> >6afb46c Journal Backup save lease
>

> Using an activity is ok with me, but remember that backups must work
> with the *current* schoolservers in deployments. No special server-side
> software.

How does Backup+Restore work with current XS? Does it integrate with
Sugar 0.82 based builds? If so, why was it dropped for 0.84? Or what
changed that broke the integration?

We should also have a good look at the DataManager activity [5].

> > 54932cb Backup translations
> > - can we use upstream Pootle for this?
>
> I don't think Pootle can be made to work with code which isn't yet in
> git.

Then we'll put it in git. It doesn't need to be the same source as we use
for building images, only contain the patches that need translations.

> > 8d8ad5f Add microformat support to updater.
> > - hardcoded URL
> > - replaces aslo format instead of offering both
>
> I think there's a new version of this patch from Anish with several
> improvements. Someone should test it and replace it in Dextrose.

Todays IRC traffic suggests it's being worked on. I'll wait for someone
to send me a patch once it's finished.

> > 2d03290 + 09fd691 + e8b1da6 + f31bd6f + 080d1f1 + 3f7ec91 + ecda730 + 548dee3 accessibility series
> > - check approach
> > - do we need to patch Sugar or can we package it separately?
> > - style cleanup
> > 70db1a3 accessibility translations
>
> This may take quite some work. Would you like to take it?

I'll eventually need to. ;)
If you could initiate discussion with the Design Team and Sayamindu,
that would be quite appreciated and a very good start. OLPC is going
to need at least the virtual keyboard support for their tablet model, so
maybe we can offload parts of it to them.

These patches are only about a few tweaks for people with physical
disabilities, BTW. Making Sugar work properly with AT-SPI & co (e.g. for
blind people) is going to be much more invasive.

Sascha

[1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1719
[2] http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/mainline/commits/8e6af12d6
[3] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/39