[Dextrose] Sugar updater.

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 14:39:00 EST 2010

Aleksey,

As part of you long term update project would you please start working
on a yum based update system for deployments.  Standard system
updating is a solved problem on Linux.  While there might be value to
a fully functioning atomic updater.  A working yum based updater is
more valuable to deployments.

Based on conversations with deployment service and support personal I
would suggest.
1. No user interaction required -- A cron based base yum updater which
runs every two weeks should be fine.
2. Final mile rpm distribution can depend on the Squid caching at the
school server level.
3. We will need to be careful at the deployment level.  Every school
server hitting the deployment server at the same time could be
problematic due to bandwidth constraints.
4.  One of the important lessons we can learn from RHEL is providing
stock dextrose in a known location with good release note.  Then
deployments can either use the stock dextrose repos or cherry pick
patches and create their own update repos.  It is pretty common to
deploy updates on test systems before updating everything system wide.

5. The build process already creates the necessary RPMS at
http://download.sugarlabs.org/dextrose/testing/dxo2/rpms/i386/os/ . As
several people have pointed out, we are going to have to work together
to settle on a sensible release naming system.

david