[Dextrose] [Sugar-devel] Report on Sl# 2080 , Pulsing icon delayed by 5 seconds or so.

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 5 13:53:38 EDT 2010

On 5 Nov 2010, at 16:46, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> Hmmm, no, with Martin's below linked patch pulse colour animation is good.
>
> The only extra thing I noted in my email was that the 1sec zoom effect is still not showing for anything by very simple icons (Log icon is simple enough, Distance is not), however the zoom effect is not showing with your 'skip the first update' approach either. Fixing zoom efficiency should be looked at as a separate issue.
>

> Is really needed the zoom?

Well it is part of the view design metaphor, ideally there would be even more zoom effects (and fullscreen transitions) - take a look at this design presentation from a year or so back (also available from www.sugarlabs.org):

     http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/interface/index.html

> If we can't do it in a efficient way, may be we can use another metaphor.
> What about moving the icon from the position in the home view to the screen center?

+1 on a translation from the point of launch, to the screen centre, but I was hoping zoom could be fixed first as both should happen (see above movie).

> I think we must do all we can to start quickly the activities.

The loss of the zoom animation for non-trivial icons is a regression, it was fine 2 years back with the OLPC build 767, sugar 0.82.1 and Fedora 9 (just retested here on an XO-1).

Regards,
--Gary